RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS’ MANUAL 30 OCTOBER 2022
LESSON NINE (09)
TOPIC: CHRISTIANS AND POLITICS (PART 1)
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessings on me
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
Adults devotional: Open Heaven 30 October 2022
Powerful Declarations: Powerful Declarations For Today 30 October 2022
Today’s Prayer Points: Prayer Points For Open Heavens 30 October 2022
Teens Devotional: Open Heavens For Teens 30 October 2022
OPENING PRAYER: Father, help me to play my role to ensure that only the righteous are in authority.
BIBLE PASSAGE: NEHEMIAH 5:14-19.
Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even unto the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that is, twelve years, I and my brethren have not eaten the bread of the governor.
But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable unto the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear of God.
Yea, also I continued in the work of this wall, neither bought we any land: and all my servants were gathered thither unto the work.
Moreover there were at my table an hundred and fifty of the Jews and rulers, beside those that came unto us from among the heathen that are about us.
Now that which was prepared for me daily was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this required not I the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy upon this people.
Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.
MEMORY VERSE: “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.” Proverbs 29:2.
INTRODUCTION: Generally, politics can be described as the methodology and activities associated with running a government, an organisation or a movement. Politics is all about influence. It is this influence that further births positive or negative changes in the lives of the people. The involvement of Christians in politics is neither secular; nor beyond the ideologies of Christianity because it is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Gen.1:28; Matt. 5:13-16).
LESSON AIM: To study the role of Christians in politics.
TEACHING OBJECTIVES: Through the lesson, students should be able to:
a. Discover misconceptions about politics.
b. Understand why Christians should be involved in politics.
TEXT REVIEW: Nehemiah was a true agent of change and demonstrated the following six spheres of commitment to the people as the Governor of Judah. Neh.5:14.
(a) Commitment to transparent and accountable administration, Vs 14-15a.
(b) Commitment to the …………………….V15b.
(c) Commitment to the ………………………V16.
(d) Commitment to the ……………………..V17.
(e) Commitment to ……………………………V18.
(f) Commitment to …………………………….V19.
Nehemiah changed the structure and attitude of the people by being involved. Therefore, get involved.
1. MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT POLITICS
2. WHY SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS?
1. MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT POLITICS
(i) The teacher should first ask students to explain why many Christians do not get involved in politics (political apathy).
(ii) The teacher should enumerate five (5) points given below that Christians use as an excuse for not engaging in political activities:
(a) Politics is a dirty game and a worldly affair
(b) Political involvements will take one to hell
(c) All politicians are liars, corrupt ad promiscuous
(d) It is an opportunity to embezzle money or amass wealth unlawfully
(e) Most politicians are fetish or occultists.
(iii) Teachers should emphasize the following truths:
(a) Although the kingdom of the believers is in heaven, God gave us the earth/land to possess as possession. (Obadiah 1:17).
(b) Believers’ heritage includes the country/cities and towns which God has given us. We own it and need to reign on it. (Rev.5:10).
(c) The earth is the Lord’s…What belongs to our God belongs to us. (Ps.24:1; Ps.8:6).
Some Christians believe that, since our kingdom is not of this world, we do not have to be involved in any political activity in the world we presently live in (Jn.17:14). This is not the whole truth but a misconception aimed at robbing us of our godly heritage of dominion (Ps.8:6; 1Pet.2:9; Rev.5:10).
Here are some reasons for the misconception or wrong notions about the involvement of Christians in politics;
1. Politics is a dirty game and a worldly affair.
2. Political involvements will take one to hell.
3. All politicians are liars, corrupt and promiscuous.
4. It is an opportunity to embezzle money or amass wealth unlawfully.
5. Most politicians are fetish or occultic.
CLASS ACTIVITY 1:
Why are people afraid of politics?
2. WHY SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS?
(i) It is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Deut.28:13). We are to take the lead and allow kingdom values to shape our society. (Matt.5:13-16).
(ii) The leaders we elect or fail to elect have a great influence on our freedom, well-being and the fulfilment of our God-given mandate. They can choose to protect our right to worship and spread the gospel, or prevent us from exercising such rights. (Est.4:14; Dan.6:7).
(iii) Politics like other sectors of national developments (health, finance, etc.) should be explored to “teach all nations” in order to demonstrate the exemplary life and flavour of godliness. (Dan.6:1-3; Prov.29:2).
(iv) The involvement of godly Christians in politics will reduce corruption, disorderliness, mischief and other socio-economic vices in society. (2Chron.14:1-6; Prov.29:2).
(v) To effect positive and lasting changes that will benefit society. (Gen.41:33-40; Prov.14:34).
In order to disabuse our minds as Christians about our active involvement in politics, we need to consider the following reasons objectively:
1. It is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Deut.28:13). We are to take the lead and allow kingdom values to shape our society (Matt.5:13-16).
2. The leaders we elect or fail to elect, have a great influence on our freedom, well-being and the fulfilment of our God-given mandate. They can choose to protect our rights to worship and spread the gospel, or prevent us from exercising such rights (Est.4:14; Dan.6:7).
3. Politics like other sectors of national developments (health, finance, etc.), should be explored to “teach all nations” in order to demonstrate the exemplary life and flavour of godliness (Dan.6:1-3; Matt.28:19-20).
4. The involvement of godly Christians in politics will reduce corruption, disorderliness, mischief and other socio-economic vices in the society (2Chron.14:1-6; Prov.29:2).
5. To effect positive and lasting changes that will benefit society (Gen.41:33-40; Prov.14:34).
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: What can believers do to eliminate the fear of failure or defeat in politics?
SUMMARY: Believers must be involved in politics.
CONCLUSION: God is still looking for the righteous few in order to uplift our nations (Gen.18:32).
* Mention four (4) misconceptions believers have about politics.
* Why should Christians be involved in politics?
EVALUATION: Why must believers be involved in politics?
CLOSING PRAYER: Father, let all Your children awake from political slumber and apathy.
ASSIGNMENT: Mention five (5) consequences of appointing or electing ungodly/bad people to lead. (2×5=10 Marks).