RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL 6 MARCH 2022
LESSON TWENTY-SEVEN (27)
TOPIC: BRIDGING PARENT-CHILD GAP
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: “For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgement; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.” Genesis 18:19
BIBLE PASSAGE: PSALM 127:1-5
1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
INTRODUCTION: Parenting refers to the aspects of raising a child from infancy to adulthood. the most common partaker is the biological parents of the child. Parenting in the 21st century involves parent-child relationship.
The parents-child relationship must be based on love, truth, openness, honor, obedience, discipline and provision. Parenting can be difficult and challenging, but at the same time the most rewarding and fulfilling things we ever do.
The Bible has a great deal to say about the way we can successfully raise our children to be great men and women of God. It is easier to train a child than to repair an adult.
1. PARENTING: OLD AND MODERN
2. DIVINE EXPECTATION
PARENTING: OLD AND MODERN
The parenting as of of old: Mary and Joseph are examples of good parents in the Bible days. They invested all they had in baby Jesus. They knew when the child was in trouble i.e. when king Herod wanted to kill the child (Matthew 2:13-15).
They made sure baby Jesus was always taken to the temple (Luke 2:22-24, 41-42). They brought him up in the way of the Lord.
Eli in the Bible the father of Hophni and Phinehas, is an example of a parent who refuse to train his children in the right way (1Samuel 4:13-21).
Modern parenting: In this generation parents indulge their children, all in the name of ‘What I suffer my children should not’. This has led to the falling standard of discipline.
These days, many parents leave the training of their children to house helps, nannies, electronic gadgets, teachers and churches. Many parents are now career-conscious at the expense of giving their children good attention for proper training.
However, in this age of digital technologies, it is important that parents get acquainted with the internet and the various social media handles – (Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp Tick-Tok).
This is because information and communication now flow through these Media at an alarming rate and it is expedient that parents bridge this generational gap by being compliant.
God expects that parents should do the under listed.
1. Apply the rod of correction (Proverbs 22:15). This is not the rod of abuse, but correction. An abused child will suffer great trauma, but a child who is properly corrected we enjoy peace
2. Discipline promptly (Proverbs 13:24). Discipline has to do with understanding the various ways of correcting wrong doing with the goal of inculcating the confidence to do right always. A parent does not love his child if he fails to apply the rod of correction when necessary (Proverbs 23:13-14; Proverbs 29:15-17)
3. Begin training early (Proverbs 19:18). Many lives have been ruined due to the negligence of some parents by excusing or overlooking the wrongdoings of their children instead of correcting them early
4. Be a role model (2Timothy 1:5)
5. Teach them the word of God (Deuteronomy 6:6-7)
CONCLUSION: God is keenly interested in you and your parenting responsibility. You should partner with God by studying His word and following His leading for Success.
1. Compared and contrast between the old and modern parenting
2. Mention five expectations of God on parenting.
FURTHER READINGS: MON: Col.3:21. TUE:
Prov.22:6. WED: Ps.8:2. THUR: Eph. 6:1-2.
FRI: Ex.20:12. SAT: Eph.6:4. SUN: Ps.127:1.
ASSIGNMENT: Mention ten (10) factors
which could make godly parenting difficult.
Thank you so wonderful!