RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL 19TH OF MAY 2019
TOPIC: HONOUR GOD WITH YOUR SUBSTANCE
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
“Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase”. Proverbs 3:9
BIBLE PASSAGE: Malachi 3:6-12
6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
7. Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?
8. Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
12. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.
Today’s study centers on an age long principle and practice applicable in all dispensations, including this.
As some try to infer, it was never instituted in the dispensation of law or terminated by the dispensation of grace. Without mincing words, it is expedient for all believers to honour God with their substances.
1. TITHES AND OFFERINGS
OUTLINE 1:TITHES AND OFFERINGS
Tithe is one tenth of all income. Tithing was the first mentioned in the Bible in connection with Abraham (Genesis 14:18-20). Jacob vowed to give God his tithes (Gen. 28:20-22).
All Israel were commanded by God to pay their tithes (Deut. 12:6). Praying, fasting, giving of alms, witnessing, righteous living and even paying of tithes are normal Christian services.
They are not condemned by the Lord Jesus Christ. He compared tithing with mercy, faith and love of God (Matt. 23:23). Tithe is for the support of the work of the ministry and spreading of the gospel.
Offerings are what we give to God ( usually money from our incomes) through His church for the progress of His work (Exodus 35:4-10). Also Read – Open Heaven 19 May 2019
Today, believers in Christ are required to give free will offerings, regular church offerings, special church project offerings, thanksgiving offering, welfare offering, offering for the mission’s work, etc.
Offerings that will be acceptable to God should be done regularly (1 Cor. 16:2), cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:7), willingly (2 Cor. 8:2), bountifully (2 Cor. 9:6) and sacrificially (2 Cor. 8:3-4).
God declares failure to give offering and/or pay tithes as robbery against Him which brings curses upon the offender. Ultimately, no robber/thief will make it to Heaven except he/she repents and does the needful (Mal. 3:8-9; 1 Cor. 6:10).
However, God promises to reward those who are faithful in paying tithe and giving offerings with overflowing blessingsand will also rebuke the devourer for their sakes (Mal. 3:10-11).
OUTLINE 2: FIRST FRUITS
First fruits are in three (3) categories:
i. The first fruits of increase (Prov. 3:9-10): For example, increase in salary (the difference between the old and new salary).
ii. The first fruit sacrifice: This may imply the first salary received on assumption of a new job or the first round of gain made at the start of a new business.
It may also be the salary or income at the turn of a new year. The sacrifice of Isaac is symbolic of first fruit sacrifice (Gen. 22:15-18).
iii. Redemption of the first male child (Exodus 13:13; Num. 18:15). The first child (especially male) belongs to God. You can redeem him with a price.
Dedicating first fruits to God is a way of thanking Him for providing the fruits.
Obedience does not only nourish the body of Christ but it is also a means of extending the kingdom of God on Earth. Therefore, honour God with your substances.
1. Give a brief description of tithes and offerings.
2. Mention the three categories of first fruits.
For Further Reading:
Luke 6:38; Eph. 6:6; Luke 11:42; Deut. 12:5-6; 1 Chron. 17:20; 2 Peter 3:9.
Mention five (5) things which the church can do to make members pay their tithes, offerings and first fruits regularly.