RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL 10 OF MARCH, 2019 – SPEAKING WITH NEW TONGUES
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE : “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Mark 16:17
BIBLE PASSAGE: ACTS 19:1-6
1.And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2.He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3.And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John’s baptism.
4.Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5.When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6.And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Our Lord Jesus Christ declared that the ability to speak with a new tongue shall be one of the signs that follow everyone who believes in Him (Mark 16:17). While every believer receives the Holy Spirit at the point of their conversion (Acts 2:38), believers are expected to continue to thirst and hunger for the infilling of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49). In this lesson we shall attempt to answer some of the mind boggling questions about speaking in an unknown tongue and its benefits.
1. NEW TONGUES AND THEIR DISTINCTIONS
2. BENEFITS OF SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE*
*NEW TONGUES AND THEIR DISTINCTIONS*
The ability to speak with new tongues is divine (not learned, bought or copied) and manifest when one is baptised with the Holy Spirit. It is one of the outward (physical) evidences of the overflow of the Holy Spirit in the believer (Acts 2:4). The power to witness and to do exploits is another crucial evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:8; 10:38). Read – Open Heavens 10 March 2019
The ability to speak in an unknown tongue and the gift of diverse kind of tongues are given by the Holy Spirit. However, we need to distinguish between the two. While every believer is expected to speak in an unknown tongue (Acts 19:1-6), not all may receive the gift of diverse kinds (1 Cor. 12:10).
Note that both can take place simultaneously for some believers ( Acts 2:4,7-11). When a believer speaks in a unknown tongue, he speaks mysteries (unto God) which cannot be understood by men (1 Cor. 14:2); however God can speak through one with the gift of diverse kinds of tongues to men with interpretations where necessary (Acts 2:4-6).
Speaking in an unknown tongue is for self-edification (1 Cor. 14:4) while diverse kinds of tongues (when interpreted) edify the church and those around (Acts 2:7-10).
*BENEFITS OF SPEAKING IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE*
The following are some of the benefits of speaking in an unknown tongue:
1. It improves the believer’s prayer life: Supernatural ability to communicate with God effectively and intercede for others. Rom. 8:26; 1 Cor. 14:2
2. Self edification: it stirs up believers faith. 1 Cor. 14:4; Jude 20
3. It is a means of yielding our tongue to God. No man can tame the tongue but God. By the Holy Spirit, the whole body can change including the tongue. James 3:8.
4. It is a weapon of spiritual warfare. 1 Cor. 14:2
5. It refreshes our spirit and soul. Isaiah 28:11-12
6. It assists believers to sing, praise and give thanks to God. 1 Cor. 14:15
7. It helps believers to access divine revelations and mysteries. 1 Cor. 2:9-11
Speaking in an unknown tongue is a fulfillment of the promise of God. It is for all believers who would not just desire it but fully tap into the benefits irrespective of their church denominations, tribes or nations.
1. Give reasons believers should speak in tongue.
2. Mention four benefits of speaking in an unknown tongue.
ASSIGNMENT : Set apart time to pray violently this week until you receive afresh the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
*For Further Reading:* 1 Cor. 14.3; Acts 26:18; 19:6; 4:31.