RCCG YAYA SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS’ MANUAL 1 MAY 2022
LESSON THIRTY FIVE (35)
TOPIC: OPPOSITE-SEX FRIENDSHIP
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
Today’s devotional: Open Heaven 1 May 2022
Powerful Declarations: Powerful Declarations For Today 1 May 2022
Today’s Prayer Points: Prayer Points For Open Heavens 1 May 2022
Happy New Month: Prayers And Declarations For The Month Of May 2022
MEMORY VERSE: “But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts” Romans 13:14.
BIBLE PASSAGE: Romans 12:9-10,
Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?
Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?
INTRODUCTION: Christian youths come together for diverse reasons such as academic activities, business/social engagements, spiritual exercises and so on. In the process, making friends with the opposite sex may be inevitable.
This is not a sin as long as the motive is pure (friendship with no string attached). However, it becomes an issue of concern when we consider the common mistakes foreseeable. We shall attempt to unravel some of the mistakes as well as discuss some of the tips for a pure friendship with the opposite sex.
TEXT REVIEW: Romans 12:9-10, Proverbs 6:27-28.
A. In Romans 12 verses 9 to 12, the Apostle Paul admonishes believers to:
i. Let love be without hypocrisy. V9a.
iii. Cling …………………………………..V9c.
B. In Proverbs 6:27-28, the writer raises two fundamental questions proverbially:
i. Can a man take fire to his bossom……….V27. ii. ……………………………………………………………V28.
LESSON OUTLINE 1: COMMON MISTAKES
LESSON OUTLINE 2: FOR PURE FRIENDSHIP
LESSON OUTLINE 1: COMMON MISTAKES
Teacher should allow the class to bear their mind on the opposite sex relationship and emphasise the following points.
A. Here are some of the common mistakes youths make as they relate with their friends of the opposite sex.
1. Ignoring proper boundaries.
2. Misinterpreting the attentions/intentions of the opposite sex.
3. Tolerating too much in the friendship and hanging on too long.
4. Giving a blind eye to danger signals such as emotional attraction, attempt to touching sensitive parts of the body, holding hands, cuddling, pecking, and so on (Prov.6:27-28; Rom.12:1).
5. Getting involved much too soon and going too far such as involvement in family functions, financial/business commitment, and so on.
6. Ignorantly sending potential spouse away.
CLASS ACTIVITY 1: Students should share their experiences in relating with opposite sex.
LESSON OUTLINE 2: TIPS FOR PURE FRIENDSHIP
1. Define the friendship and set clear boundaries.
2. Never assume anything but ask questions when in doubt.
3. Do not allow anyone form a canopy over your life under the pretence of friendship.
4. Do not take advantage of your closeness to your friend to seduce him/her into any dirty game or romantic pleasure (1Thess.5:22; Col.2:21).
5. Differentiate friendship from intimacy.
6. Do not always seek to be in lonely places, dark corners, with a friend of the opposite sex.
7. Try and include others in activities instead of isolating yourself with one person.
8. Make a priority of same-sex friendship. Your bosom friend should not be of the opposite sex. You can have them as close friends but not as closest friend.
9. Seek opportunity to serve and not to be served or entertained. Real friendship is not on what you can get from others but on how to serve others. In service, we find true friendship (Rom.12:10-11).
10. If you are in a relationship leading to marriage, make sure your partner meets with your opposite gender friend.
11. Guard your heart. Do not allow premature romance ruin your heart, which is the centre of your destiny (Prov.4:23).
12. Keep everything strictly platonic (surface and plain friendship).
CLASS ACTIVITY 2: Students should discuss the importance of keeping opposite-sex friendship pure.
SUMMARY: Youths and Young adults should beware of common mistakes that can ruin their friendship with the opposite-sex and make up their mind to keep the friendship pure.
CONCLUSION: Prioritise same sex friendship. If you must have a friend of the opposite gender, know your boundaries and make sure you talk about them.
EVALUATION: Teacher should ask students to mention some mistakes youths make in opposite-sex friendship.
CLOSING PRAYER: Father, help me to glorify You in all that I do.
ASSIGNMENT: Check through your relationship with friends of the opposite sex and apply the tips you have learnt to keep the friendship pure.