RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL 5 MAY 2019
TOPIC: THE MASTER SCULPTOR
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
“O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord . Behold, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.” Jeremiah 18:6
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1 Samuel 16:11-13
11. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
12. And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
13. Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
A sculptor is an artist who carves or molds figures, designs in wood, stone, clay, etc.
When a sculptor want to carve something out, he looks a piece of wood and begins to see what nobody else can see in it.
God is the master sculptor. In today’s lesson, we shall be looking at how God can transform us from ‘logs of wood’ into a finished product.
1. YOU ARE A RAW MATERIAL
2. THE PROCESSING STAGES
OUTLINE 1: YOU ARE THE RAW MATERIAL
God, the master sculptor looks for raw materials. He pronounces what He wants them to be.
For instance in Judges 6:11-16, God looked at a coward, Gideon, who was actually hiding from the enemies, and saw a mighty man of valour.
God picked up David from the bush and produced a giant killer and a mighty king out of him 1 Sam. 16:11-13; 17:50-51; 2 Sam. 2:4.
Moses was picked up from the backside of a desert to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt Exodus 3:1-10.
Peter was a crude fisherman but the Sculptor turned him into a fisher of men (Luke 5:1-10; Acts 2:41; 4:4).
The Lord is looking at you today as a raw material with which He can produce something great in the future Jer. 29:11.
He will make up the difference between what you can see and what He can see, which to you is farfetched Jer. 32:27; Isaiah 55:8-9.
OUTLINE 2: THE PROCESSING STAGES
Several processes are engaged in converting a log of wood into a finished product.
The similitude of this is what happens when God is making you what He wants you to be.
Firstly, you need to fetch the wood from the bush Exo. 3:1-2; 1 Sam. 16:11; Judges 6:11-12. This is the salvation stage. Also Read – Open Heavens 3 May 2019
Secondly, you need to saw off the back of the wood. This was the experience of Saul of Tarsus in Acts 9:1-8. This is the sanctification process. Also Read – Open Heavens 3 May 2019
Thirdly, the sculptor uses hammer and chisel. This is the shaping process. This is done on you through the word of God Jer. 23:29 to chisel out thongs like covetousness, anger, impatience, pride, etc.
The fourth stage involves the use sand paper, which is to make smooth the rough edges – sharpening process John 15:2.
Finally, is the polishing stage which is the anointing of the Holy Spirit for manifestation 2 Sam. 2:4. By then, God would have turned you from a raw material to a finished product, from being a sinner to a saint and from mere clay to a vessel unto honour. Click Here To Read – Open Heaven 5th May 2019
Today, stop struggling with your maker, rather, yield yourself as that log of wood in the hands of the sculptor.
1. Give three examples of “raw materials” in the Bible.
2. Outline the stages involved in transforming a “raw material” to a “finished product”.
For Further Reading: John 15:1-2; Philippians 1:6; Matthew 5:5; Philippians 2:5-11; Isaiah 43:19; Luke 13:8.
Find out five (5) requirements to be a vessel of honour.