RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT’S MANUAL 22 NOVEMBER 2020
TOPIC: OVERCOMING TEMPTATION
BIBLE PASSAGE: HEBREW 4:14-16
INTRODUCTION: Just as we cannot stop bird from flying over our heads but can stop them from nesting in our hair, so also can we not stop temptation from coming.
However, we need not to accept them or allow them to take a stronghold. The consequence of yielding to temptation can be disastrous whereas resisting it births victory.
1. THE RESULTS OF TEMPTATION
2. HOW CAN ONE OVERCOME?
THE RESULTS OF TEMPTATION
There are two possible outcomes of temptation. We either yield to it or we resist it and overcome. If a Christian yield to temptation, it becomes sin (1Tim. 6:9). The result then is that the Christian’s testimony is badly affected and he becomes spiritual weak (Matt. 26:41).
READ >> OPEN HEAVENS 22 NOVEMBER 2020
If the temptation is resisted, the lord is glorified and the Christian grows spiritually stronger (in faith and maturity) and will be able to resist other temptation in the future (James 1:4). God is happy because the determination of the Christian to obey him is confirmed (Gen. 22:15-18)
HOW CAN ONE OVERCOME?
There are several ways of overcoming temptations. We shall mention some of them:
1. We can rely on God’s faithfulness (1Cor. 1:9, 1Cor. 10:13) and on Jesus Christ who is constantly praying for us (Luke 22:31-32).
2. By memorising, meditating and recalling the word of God like Jesus did in Matt. 4
3. By constant prayer and carefulness (Matt. 26:41).
4. By fleeing (2Tim. 2:22). When Joseph found himself cornered by potiphar’s wife, he fled.
5. By resisting (James 4:7). Stay strong in the lord and not yield to sin (Eph. 6:10).
Avoid falling into temptation whenever it comes. To fall is easy but the scars often remain. Remember, we can do all things through Christ, including resisting temptations.
1. List four possible ways of escape from temptation?
2. What are the result of temptation?